Monday, October 25, 2010

Do you "CD"?

For a few months now, we have been debating about "CD"ing - using cloth diapers.

There was a store in Lee's Summit called Happy Bottomus, which sold all sorts of brands, types, sizes, colors of cloth diapers - it was amazing! I never knew there was so much to choose from! Sadly (for me) they moved to Overland Park, KS and are hopefully thriving there :) http://www.happybottomus.com/

Why choose cloth diapers? There are so many reasons. Cloth diapers are soft against your baby’s skin. Cloth diapers are also free of the many chemicals contained in disposable diapers. Our common sense tells us that cloth diapers are the ultimate in recycling because they are used again and again, not entering a landfill until they are nothing but rags. In the last year or so, I have tried to become a more eco friendly mama - recycling, starting a compost in our backyard, not using as much electricity/water, etc. What better way to help save the environment than to use cloth diapers?

Here are some scary facts that I found:
Over 92% of all single-use diapers end up in a landfill.

In 1988, nearly $300 million dollars were spent annually just to discard disposable diapers, whereas cotton diapers are reused 50 to 200 times before being turned into rags.

No one knows how long it takes for a disposable diaper to decompose, but it is estimated to be about 250-500 years, long after your children, grandchildren and great, great, great grandchildren will be gone.

Over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum feedstocks and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce disposable diapers for one baby EACH YEAR.
http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php

Who knew there was so much to know about cloth diapering? This site gives a dictionary of words commonly used with CDing. http://www.diaperpin.com/dictionary.asp

Here is the price info I could find...its amazing how much we spend in disposable diapers: http://www.diaperdecisions.com/pages/cost_of_cloth_diapers.php

I would really like to experiment with cloth diapers - see if I like them, or if they are really worth the money to buy them...but I don't want to spend a lot of money (especially since we don't have any to spend!). I heard about a diaper swap - if I have the time/money we might check it out in January.

I wonder if there is anyone out there I know that uses cloth diapers - do you use the traditional cloths & pins, or the more fancy snaps? Which ones should I use? And since I have two children in diapers, which is the better deal? Where do I buy them? There are so many different kinds: One Size, All in one, All in two, Pocket diapers, Wool, Covers, Fitted, Prefold, Flats, Snaps, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment