Friday, March 25, 2011

Breast is best

I know that I have written about breastfeeding before, although I cannot seem to find where on here...so I thought I would discuss some topics about the subject. For those of you that don't know, I exclusively breast feed my youngest daughter Arwen (who is almost 8 months old) and I breastfed Destin until she was almost a year old. No formula, no pumping, no bottles - just breast! Too much info?

There is so much research out there that says "breast is best", that is...breast milk as opposed to formula can do wonders for your baby.

Breastfeeding helps defend against infections, prevent allergies, and protect against a number of chronic conditions.

Reasons to Breastfeed:
1. Breastfeeding is natural and is what your body was meant to do!2. Breastfeeding helps you recover faster after delivery.
3. Breastfeeding exclusively is recommended by The American Academy of Pediatrics and The World Health Organization.
4. Breastfeeding prevents your baby from developing many allergies.
5. Breastfeeding lowers the risk of SIDS.
6. Breastfeeding burns calories and can lower obesity for you and your baby.
7. Breastfeeding can raise the IQ of your baby!
8. Breastfeeding decreases risks of many diseases and cancers for you and your baby, such as breast cancer and diabetes.
9. Breastfeeding allows you to spend quality time getting to know your baby.
10. Breast milk is the best food to ever feed your baby!

And some of my own...
11. When you breastfeed you may or may not have your "monthly visit".
12. No need to have a bottle or formula - less expensive!

15 Products that Make Breastfeeding Easier
There are lots of products out there to help breastfeeding mommies including, breast pumps, pillows, covers and more! The two things from this list that I use:
#5 my Boppy Pillow (I love mine - in fact, I have two! One for home & one for on the go which stays in the car at all times) and #9 Nursing Cover (I use blankets, my shirt, jackets, and I have two covers).

There are lots of controversies when it comes to breastfeeding...usually it has to do with feeding in public. Here is an article I found which lists the Top 10 Breastfeeding controversies...and here is one that was in the news recently: Breast milk ice cream - a ice cream shop in the UK was selling ice cream made from breast milk. The women who donated were of course checked for diseases, etc. and were paid for their supply.

Although the thought of being paid for my breast milk does sound appeasing, I am not sure I would want someone eating ice cream made from it. Would you?

Just thought I would share some of the highlights of breastfeeding...there are so many resources, books, sites, organizations and more that support this great way to help your baby grow. Until next time, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment