Friday, April 22, 2011

New teeth = Biting!

Earlier today I posted about Arwen's new teeth coming in. Her 2 front teeth, that is! I haven't managed to get any pictures of them yet, but BOY! do I know they are there!!!

This may be a little TMI for some of you...but Arwen has been biting me non-stop, every time I try to breastfeed her. I just don't know what to do....I tell her NO very sternly, and sometimes she gives a sad/mad face, but then she will just repeat biting me again and again. Does anyone have any tips?

I strictly breastfeed only...no bottles, no pumping, AND no pacifiers. Now that Arwen is almost 9 months old, she is starting to eat more and more FOOD - mashed potatoes, fruits of all kinds, beans, mac n cheese, crackers, and more! With more food in her diet, I am only starting to feed her (breast feeding) about three or four times a day. Some days its even less...which is about right. When Destin was this age, I started to wean her from breastfeeding, and started her on regular milk at 11 months old.

I know most pediatricians want you to wait until your baby is at least 1 year old, but I made the exception for Destin. She had 8+ teeth (twice as many as Arwen), and was only breastfeeding one or two times a day. The hardest time to break  her from was at bedtime...Destin would only go to sleep after I fed her...but with Arwen - she goes to sleep on her own every night, and most of the time she hardly breastfeeds at all. Which may work out great for both of us, when it comes to going strictly to regular milk.

When I switch to regular milk...it will mean a couple of things:
a) I no longer have to be WITH Arwen 24/7 and MIGHT be willing to let her stay with someone (at least for a couple hours).
b) That leads to maybe having a date night with Patrick (which hasn't happened since before I was pregnant with Arwen - over a year ago!!).
c) Our milk costs are going to go UP - so I will be on the look out for some good milk coupons (which I do now already). Destin drinks at least 3 cups of milk everyday. And I am sure Arwen will do the same.
d) This means both my babies are growing up. As if I didn't already know this, but they are. They grow up so fast - and I just wonder where the time went? :(

Wish me luck with my teething/biting/growing baby girl :)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah... they do grow up so fast. First, it's those new teeth, and then before you notice it, those same teeth would be taken by the tooth fairly. The years do pass by quickly. Well, no need to worry about that. It's just a change of seasons; from breastfeeding, to teething, and beyond.

    ReplyDelete