Thursday, October 14, 2010

TV time vs. timeout

My goal for the past two weeks was to put TV in a timeout...simply because Destin & I would watch TV all the time if we could. The first went really well - we would watch Dora & then Sesame Street, and then I would turn off the tele for the rest of the day (from 10 AM) until after Destin's nap (around 3:30 PM). We did this almost everyday for about a week...but then I just started to forget, got lazy and left it on most of the day.


One of Destin's fav shows is Dora :)

I know that having the TV on all the time is not good for us, and we need to do other things - which we do. But it makes me wonder about all the research that says children should not watch tv under the age of 2.

Here is an article I found from AAP:
http://www.aap.org/sections/media/toddlerstv.htm


There is also another article that lists what children are not doing, which I don't fully agree on. Destin runs, jumps, dances, sings, asks questions, interacts and talks to me & the characters on her shows (Sesame Street & Dora). This article is very interesting to me...
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/work-play/Media/pages/What-Children-are-NOT-Doing-When-Watching-TV.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token


Whether or not, parents let thier children watch tv is up to them...and more than likely most parents will let their baby or babies watch tv before they turn 2 years old. I read, play games, pretend, sing, listen to music, color, do crafts & more with Destin everyday. A little tv can't hurt, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment