Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Review: "A Gift for Baby" by Jan Hunt


"A Gift for Baby" written by Jan Hunt, illustrated by Sunny Rosanbalm

Description
Jan Hunt's "A Gift for Baby" celebrates compassionate parenting on every page, with colorful pictures of breastfeeding, co sleeping, baby wearing and family closeness, woven into a sweet story with a delightful surprise ending. The perfect picture book for attachment parenting families!


Hardcover edition, with text in both English and Spanish. Children love learning the Spanish words too!


Story by Jan Hunt, art by Sunny Rosanbalm. Spanish translation by Marcela Araiza. Signed by the author. Approved by La Leche League and Attachment Parenting International.

My Thoughts
This book is such a joy to read to my girls each day! As many of you know, both of my daughters absolutely love to read...and this book has become one of our favorites over the past few weeks. The story is presented in English with a Spanish translation by Marcela Araiza. I know that teaching Spanish as a second language will be less challenging with a favorite book!

The story of a baby (could be a boy or girl) imagining what is inside such a big present, placed in the middle of the living room. Each beautifully illustrated page has the infant pondering what wonderful things could be inside, but each time he/she says "I'd rather..." be with mommy/daddy, or doing something of the nature which supports attachment parenting. The child knows that none of these items (a teddy bear, a bottle, a photo, or a even a pacifier, for example) can substitute for the love and attention every child really needs.

I am an avid believer of attachment parenting. If you do not know what attachment parenting is, it can be explained here. There are not very many books on the market that do a justified explanation of this type of parenting - mostly because it is not widely supported by everyone. Just to be clear - this book does not put down other types of parenting styles, but simply provides support for those children and parents who choose to live their lives in such a way. A good example of this, is allowing your child to co-sleep with you (which our family does), or breast feeding, instead of bottle feeding. There is nothing wrong with what you choose - as long as your child is happy.

I loved that Jan Hunt, the author of the book, signed the book before she sent it to me. She wrote to me, "Trust what your heart tells you." and I cannot count how many times I have relied on such a phrase. Life truly is a fragile thing, and our children are who they are because of the way they are brought up. All children deserve to be treated with dignity, respect, understanding and compassion (as their publisher describes).

One can only hope that love and education that we provide to our children, will allow them to be successful adults later on in life. This is my goal every day - that I am doing a good job being a mother. If nothing else matters in my life, it is that my girls are confident, happy and above all respectful.

I truly enjoyed reading this book, and learning more about "The Natural Child Project". If you would like to learn more about this book, you can visit their website here, or you can also purchase it on Amazon.

Thank you so much for allowing me to review such an amazing book! I know that my family will love it for many years to come!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment