Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thank You Dora!

For the past few months Destin has started to watch the show on Nick Jr called "Dora the Explorer". If you watch any kind of children's television shows you would probably recognize her...

She speaks English & Spanish, goes on adventures with Boots the monkey, her purple backpack & map and teaches kids along the way.

We have done a great job of teaching Destin how to use her manners, by saying please and thankyou. Her latest saying is, "Excuse me..." and then asks for something. Its so cute (and polite)! Well, this week I thought it was so neat to see Destin use her skills learned from Dora by saying, "Gracias" and "De Nada" (not sure if I spelled those right). She even has been counting in Spanish too! Its so cool to know the power of education has on your children - even if it coming from the television.

I know there are a lot of critics in the medical field that say television is really not okay for children under the age of 2, but I have to say that I disagree. Destin learns so much from Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer and other educational television shows. So what that most of the stuff is fiction?! I love that she can imagine, and create ideas of her own based from what she sees on these shows. So I have to say - Thank You to Dora & Rosita (from Sesame Street) who are teaching my daughter Spanish. She definitely will know more than I do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment